Thursday, February 23, 2012

Humans

I daydream quite a bit and many times, I will have flashbacks of some moments in Korea. Some were insane moments and many are my regrets too. There are things which I could have or have not done and things might end differently. Though it has been more than 6 months since I came back from Korea, I still do feel the same kind of regret or anxiety when I think about them.
There were several moments of my life when I found myself screaming "This is crazy!!" in my head. Those were the times when I behaved differently from my nature and do things that I had never imagined myself to do. Those were also times when I test myself for boundaries, limits and some times, tolerance.
Anyway, I was having a chat with a colleague yesterday. He is definitely one of those ordinary people and soon to be doing extraordinary things. The first time I saw him, he came across to me as a typical 'lao beng' i.e. an ex-gangster, not highly educated and think only about girls, making money and mischievous things. But after I got to know him, I found that he's a faithful husband, someone who possesses such strong values, and has a drive to live each day as simply as possible, waking up in the morning, going to work, and coming home to rest in the evening. He is so contented leading a simple life with his wife and earning a rather stable income from his venture. He's blessed with an opportunity to work with the yellow ribbon project and of course, he appreciates it. He will be able to help the ex-convicts find another chance in life.
We then talked about societal status. He said, "a person's worth is define by his/her personal values and the value which the society grants him/her." Someone could be a doctor, with high societal status, but with little respect for people around him when he bosses around and treats his subordinates as if they were his slaves just because he knows that he is a doctor and therefore feels that he has the right to mistreat others. There are really people like these who exist. There is a flaw, or perhaps a lot of it, in this whole sociology thing but there's little that we can do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment