Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Martin and Ayaka came to Singapore for 5 days and now they're gone.

They stayed at my place. It was awesome meeting them again because I missed them so much before. It was like.. learning how to adapt to my life alone in sg and now, having to relearn it again.

I miss phillipp, alex, nico and rio so much. I miss being around people all the time, going out with them and coming back to the same ihouse every day. Everything felt fresh and different when I came back from Seoul. I attended the first choir practice and right away, I learnt that choir taught us to be patient. My conductor was going through the bass parts and I felt a little impatient because I had to wait. But I've never felt it before I left to seoul. I was used to it then. It was amazing how we oblivious we can be to our surroundings that almost everything seems natural, but they're not! It's so important to step out of our comfort zone, so that we come back seeing things afresh and learn to appreciate them more.

Of course, the side effect is that I became more critical. When I just reach Singapore, I was comparing Singaporeans with foreigners. I was comparing Singlish and English. I was being critical of my surroundings. It's not necessarily a good thing. It was about learning to accept and embrace the differences. Learning to love being a Singaporean, which in a way, could mean being unique. On the second day I was back, I was ordering some food when I overheard the stall lady saying "This one how much ah?" It was so unusual for me. Immediately I thought, Singaporeans should improve our english. Singlish is unique, yes, but it is also important to speak good english to be able to communicate with non-singaporeans. It is okay to speak singlish but also, it is important to know what the correct sentence should be so that we can use it when it is necessary.

It was nice that ayaka and martin visit me here. I visited MBS and the new sentosa. I visited the places that only 1. tourists or 2. couples would visit. Haha. Being single, these are the places I would not visit. So it was cool that I got my chance to visit those places. Ahah... I brought them around to eat Chicken rice, Bak kut teh, 126, goreng pisang, and of course the other local delicacies like char kway teow and all... and they love it! Nico is coming in august and I will bring him to all the awesome food places again :D

Separation is always hard. Now, I need some time to get used to living by myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment