Yesterday was orientation day... Nothing special about the program to mention.
Somewhere near my school there's a Singapore Kopitiam toast cafe. They sell Kaya toast! I went to try it yesterday.. the toast is good except for the pathetic slab of kaya but the coffee didn't really taste like yakun kind of coffee. I think the condense milk they use is very different. Well anyway, better than not having home food here.
Then, joined a group of international exchange students for dinner. Met friends from Sweden, Finland, Germany, France, US, Japan, etc... and what really amazed me was... they really don't know much about Singapore other than its existence. There was this guy from Sweden who thought that Singapore was part of China. SERIOUSLY, are you kidding? Sg is so different and far from China. Well, this shows that Sg is insignifiant. There was another guy from US who was quite surprised that I speak good english. Then I told him that it's because we speak english in Singapore. Then he asked, "What's the national language of Singapore?". I said, "English". He goes "Really?! don't you guys speak Singlish?" Trust me, he didn't know that Singlish meant lah leh lor. I was like "No! hahaha." I think I changed his perception of Singapore totally.
We hit a club at night. It was organized by our Korean exchange buddies. It was a typical college kind of party. Very typical... some were kissing and hugging at the end of the thing. Of cos, not me. haha. anyway, it was cool. I really feel that I am an international student now.
AND this morning, I went to ski!!! that ski resort is VERY far. It's located almost at the outskirts of Seoul. We kind of lost our way initially but we were lucky to meet a group of very very helpful and friendly Ajumma (Aunties) and a kind uncle who helped us find our way there. They were making phone calls, helping us to check the correct way to get there. Generally, koreans are quite rude. There was once I helped a lady picked up her groceries which she dropped on the floor and she didn't say thanks. I dunno why but maybe it's because the elderly here are very much respected. So maybe because I was younger than her, she didn't see the need to say thanks. So this group of Ajumma really changed my perception of Koreans. They're really nice...
No comments:
Post a Comment